Did the patient have epidural anesthesia for delivery and now symptoms of post–dural puncture headache?
- Consult anesthesia for consideration of epidural blood patch treatment (Class II)
- Treat headache with analgesics (Class II)
- Consider further imaging and/or neurology consult if alternative diagnosis such as cerebral venous thrombosis is suspected despite normal neurologic examination (Class I)
- Consider lumbar puncture in patients for whom meningitis, encephalitis, or SAH is a consideration (Class I)
- Refer to primary care physician or ob/gyn for follow-up if deemed to be low-risk for dangerous etiology of headache